Sunday, May 17, 2015

Odds and Ends; Aquatic Pets in Tokyo and the U.S.

The wife and the small one were a bit under the weather this week, so we didn't do much.  My mom is busy getting the house ready for the market, so I decided to blog on the past, decided to blog about the U.S. 

I'm a big tropical fish enthusiast and would love to have a large tank here.  Unfortunately, space is quite limited in my small apartment.  Further, somewhat frequent earthquakes complicate the situation.  Truth be said, the best indicator of an earthquake (especially if small) is to look at the fish tank.  If the water is moving back and forth, an earthquake occurred.  When the big 3/11 quake hit in 2011, our apartment was pretty much spared of damage.  However, the area around the tank was drenched.  With that in mind, a large tank could potentially be a huge mess in the case of a quake.  That doesn't stop me from dreaming of having a big tank though... I long for the days of traveling from tropical fish store to tropical fish store with my Uncle Jim when I was in the States. 

Anyhoo, here is my small Japanese fish tank. It's about five gallons.  The two inhabitants, Shiny and Flower, were obtained here in 2013.

Hi Shiny and Flower
Alright. Here was my tank in Chicago circa late 2007.
My buddies in the tank are in the next picture.
That's a beautiful 55 gallon tank.  I miss it so.  We couldn't even fit a tank this large here in the apartment.
The inhabitants of my tank? The kings of tropical fish, discus.
Somethings don't change though.  Here's my turtle in Japan.
Let's see... There's a dojo down the street... I can get katanas downtown. We just need some mutagen.
Here was my turtle in the States I donated to Uncle Jim before I left.
Howdy!!!
They are the same breed of stinkpot or musk turtles.  Luckily they only grow to four to five inches long, perfect for Japan.

Thanks for the read.  Next weekend we should be doing something more interesting!!! Have a good week.

6 comments:

  1. Nice acrylic tank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like acrylic... Amazingly, it's entirely made of glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice glass tanks!
    Sad you had to downgrade from discus to goldfigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi may I know where in Tokyo I could get a 20-gallon tank? Someone gave me a turtle thats bout the size of my palm and he's getting too cramped in his 10-gallon tank! Would love to buy it online say Amazon Jp but unfortunately I can't search properly in English.. Hope you can help, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the delay in getting back meijin. That's a tough question. The hardware store Cainz often has a pet store within that has larger tanks: https://www.cainz.co.jp/en/locations.html#shoplist-tokyo The one in Minami Sunamachi has a pet store for sure. Also Joyful Honda Pet Centers have large tanks as well: http://www.joyfulhonda.com/petcenter/ Perhaps you can use Google translate to help with the Joyful Honda Center site. A Walmart, Petco or Petsmart would definitely be helpful in this regard. Too bad they don't have them here! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! That's very helpful indeed. I will start google translating! :)

    ReplyDelete