Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ice Cream Vending Machine!; Aeon; Throughout Japan

Vending machines are one of things that make Japan a great place.  Coca Cola? Sure press the button. Soy milk? Yeah over there. Beer? There's a machine two blocks away. Condoms? I'll go after it gets dark. Beef jerky? Three stops from my office. Pens? You can find them everywhere. Real teenage girls' worn panties? Gross, but in Akiba. Miniature monkeys that smoke mini cigarettes? Hmmmm... I haven't seen those in machines here.

My cousin Ryan and my mom were laughing at the multitude of vending machines here.  We couldn't go a block without seeing one.  They are placed outside in plain view of the public and are often in secluded places.  That statement might contradict itself but I like the way it sounds.

Anyhoo, that's another point I want to bring up.  These vending machines are not abused like they would be in the States.  No one vandalizes or takes stuff from them.  Case in point. Many years ago when I was in a daily parade at a major theme park, we had a vending machine in the break room near parade step down.  On a bi-monthly basis, after our parade, four or five Beast-height performers would shake the machine and stuff would fall down like winnings from a slot machine.  The candy and snacks that fell would then be thrown to the other onlooking and cheering performers like it was Mardi Gras.  Sadly, no boobs were exposed when we were looting the snack machine.  The company, or, at least machine supplier, had to know that stuff was being stolen.  But the machine remained during my tenure with the company and is probably still there. 

Ice cream vending machines are not uncommon here.  On almost a weekly basis I bring the girls to the local department store, Aeon, and we enjoy the frozen delights.  The ice cream tastes remarkably good for its price point- 130 yen, or a little over a dollar.
There she is. On the third floor.  The second floor has her twin.
I'll choose the limited-edition salt vanilla flavor.  The limited-edition flavors change with each season.
Here is my selection.  It's a strange shape.  You peel off the paper from the top and sides. They also have cones and bars in the machine too.
This week, I chose salt-vanilla, and the girls chose the same flavors they normally choose, blue cream soda and a grape variant.  While the ice cream will never replace Baskin Robbins, which is located in the food court on the first floor of my Aeon, it is fast, cheap and fun.  For this reason, I give it four scoops out of five scoops of ice cream  
I'll leave you with a picture demonstrating some other yummy stuff in vending machines here in Japan.  Have a good one.


And one more...
The beer vending machine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment